Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Am 'I' doing enough?

Being one of the so-called ‘Core Bangalorean’ group makes me feel proud. I am extremely proud of my city. It has been a wonderful experience to see Bangalore grow from a pensioners’ paradise in the eighties and the early nineties to a true cosmopolitan by the turn of the last century. I thank my stars sometimes for being at the right place at the right time without any efforts from my side.
At the same time, the growth in the last decade and a half gives me heart burns. The population of the garden city was around 4 Million in 1991, which doubled in a decade (around 6 million in 2001) and the present day statistic stands at around 9+ Million. The vehicle population has increased from less than 0.3 Million in 1981 to 3.5 Million as of today. The present vehicle growth rate peaking an all time high of around 40 to 50% YOY
The city which was initially built to carry 2 Million commuters in the nineties is now overstressed with a commuter population of 6 Million on a daily basis. Every day I drive to office, I am invited by smoke, pollution, dust and unnecessary honks. I am forced to switch on my AC in such a beautiful weather. I strongly feel that the government should quickly improve the infrastructure and do something to smoothen the on-road life of the citizens.
However, over a period of time I have realized that it is we, the citizens who can bring about a big change in our on-road lives. We just need to question ourselves on simple things like how many times have we got frustrated and honked unnecessarily, how many times have we got past the gentle red light and ahead of the whistling policeman, how many times have we cared less for the commuter next to us, how many times have we created a mess by shifting lanes, how many times have we asked the auto fellow to speed up in a slow zone, how many times have we cared less to ensure that our vehicles are certified emission OK.... The list is endless.
It is important that we introspect on these questions and see what changes we should make to ensure that 'WE' don’t create a mess. As the great man has said, "Be the change you want to be” Strong value system and self discipline have seen exponential benefits in the long run and the Mahatma has proved this to us.
The amount of improvement in the quality of road-life if each one of us can bring in some self discipline and change positively would be unimaginable. I have now stopped blaming any one for the situation that we are in. I need to correct myself first.

No comments: